Sunday, January 22, 2012

Cold and a Snowy January

Although it's cozy inside, the snowy January weather has come.

Last Friday's commute was an absolute nightmare. The snow started at about 9:00 a.m., and a lot of people left work early. The snow plows didn't have a chance to get started before the roads filled up with people trying to get home before the normal rush hour. What happened is the rush hour started at about 1:00 p.m., instead of 4:00 p.m.

I am usually o.k. with my commute because I am a teacher, and I am on the road by 3:00. I know I'm lucky. Even though I was on the road by 3:00, I didn't beat the rush. Not this time. Not at all. I was right in the middle of the rush hour. I was driving through snow-covered streets that had not been plowed, if you can call it driving. It was more like crawling.

By the time I got to my town, my windshield wipers had frozen, and I could barely see. I was so thankful when I got to my subdivision, but the snow was so high on the entry street, I said prayers that I would make it three more blocks to my house. My home never looked so good when I finally saw it. My thirty-five minute commute had turned into a just under two-hour nightmare.

As soon as I greeted my cats, I started a fire in the fireplace, cuddled up under my great aunt's antique quilt, and relaxed with a cup of tea. Today, we have about eight inches of snow drifted all over the yard. We are expecting some more snow tomorrow. I don't think we'll get what we had Friday, but it will just add to the snow in the yard.

I will try to take some pictures tomorow of my winter snow, which I actually love. I'm happy that we got this snow because it is beautiful and refreshing. On Friday night, I turned on my outside lights, and the snow glittered like diamonds in the light. I was so thankful I was home safely. It is lovely to be able to appreciate the beauty of nature when you're safe.

On the other hand, I always miss the best photo opportunities.Yesterday I saw a large coyote walking across the frozen ice behind my yard. A gorgeous male cardinal was in a tree in my yard. By the time I got my camera, the coyote had moved on, and so had the cardinal. Lesson to be learned. Keep my camera with me. My picture today is of three cold doves who are trying to keep warm under my pear tree. This was taken a few days before our Friday snow, when we just had a few inches of snow. Keep warm and enjoy your January. Thank you for reading my post.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jon Lee! Glad you made it home Fri. It was really bad for me too -including the freezing wipers. It took Mike almost 5 hours form Chicago because so many people left so early. Hope we don't have a repeat of that nonsense anytime soon! Your dove pic is precious. I still would love to meet up for dinner sometime soon. Let me know. Take care....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello

    Lovely pics of the doves trying to keep warm.
    Your Redbird project looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete